Thursday, August 21, 2008

Thanks Alan. Thanks Margaret.


When I was 7, my friend Margaret Sullivan taught me to ride on her brand new 2 wheeler. No bigger sacrifice was ever made as I was great on the straightaways but couldn't manage a corner without falling and scraping both myself and her new Schwinn. In front of Merle and Stevie and Myra, she'd admonish me to 'get back on the horse' and try again and again and again until at the end of only one long and bloody day, I could ride. Shortly after, my dad brought home a 'used' 28 inch bike that we rushed to paint navy blue in the laundry room. Being so small, I could stand and pedal or sit and coast, but never both at the same time. It didn't matter. With new handlebar streamers and a bell loud enough to make grownups jump out of my way, I was Annie Oakley on my trusted horse 'Blue' riding to Hollywood Park for picnics with my friends. Long days of FREEDOM! Every time I ride my bike even now, I am still seven and still Annie Oakley. Thanks for being a pal and fixing my bike Alan. And thanks Margaret for your extraordinary patience and kindness.
Posted by Picasa